Tuesday, March 08, 2005

Black snow in the city

As the peeps in Minnesota say: "Ish!"

It's getting to be that time of year - when everything in my being wishes for spring. Sunday it hit 60 here, and people truly didn't know what to do with themselves. I got a bit of a sunburn, I'm ashamed to report. Apparently March is the time when the big snowstorms hit, but I've yet to witness this phenomenon. It is very strange to go from living in a place where it most likely won't get cold enough to snow to living in a place where it often doesn't get warm enough to snow. So many people are (stoically, midwest-style) amazed about the lack of the white stuff around here - I've actually had two different people say "If this is global warming, I'm all for it!" There IS some snow left on the ground right now in Minneapolis but it's extremely dingy. It's back to 25 again today, by the way. Wicked tease, Sunday.

Jay and I overdid it at the farm last weekend. Too much focus on installing plumbing and a brand new barn door and too little focus on relaxing a bit and enjoying the sunshine. Jay says he yelled the "F" word too many times in frustration with the PVC pipe, and especially when the sewage in the tank outside started to melt and the stank was coming up through the pipes, which were pointed directly in to the bathroom with no vent set up (there is now!) and no bathroom appliances hooked in yet. Aye carumba.

I think we're starting to get a little weary with the running back and forth at this point - thank goodness there are only three months left! Our senses of humor are suffering!

The horses are fine - Colby had an eye infection and so I got to meet the area horse vet, who is awesome. I tried to get Colby to step up onto a stump for about 2 hours, and finally had success when I produced a carrot. Sheesh.

Okay, over and out. I'll be off to the farm this afternoon and back in the city tomorrow evening. Crazy times!

No comments: