Thursday, February 02, 2006

One foot in the city, one foot on the farm

Really, that sums it up pretty accurately these days for me and Chris and Ellis. While on my last post I praised the freedom of working from home one day a week, and while I do still appreciate the community and productivity that comes with going back to work at the museum, it is an exhausting arrangement we've found ourselves in. Tonight the three of us head back to the city for another 5 day stay while Chris works his long weekend and I work my Mon-Tues. We've calculated that we spend 15 out of 30 days in Minneapolis. Don't get me wrong, I like being there for so many reasons. But our home is here in Colfax.

I find this conflict to be more and more present as we swiftly approach spring (swiftly on the one hand, snail's pace on the other). We have garden and landscape planning to accomplish. Then plotting and mulching and planting...maintaining and weeding and harvesting. This is the richest season of all at the farm and to think of being here only half time puts a heaviness in my heart. And mind. And body. So, we're ceaselessly thinking of what our alternative options might be. No better solutions yet.

On the other hand, it is such a joy to share Ellis with our family in Minneapolis on such a regular basis. My mom and he have got a special little thing going on Mondays and Tuesdays while I'm at work--Ellis has adjusted well, which is such a blessing.

I guess I'm just feeling the hugeness of our goals more heavily today. This is not a negative...rather I am glad to be feeling this again. When I'm so distracted by the duality of this city/farm life, I need to be reminded of the reason for it all.

No comments: