Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Thelonius is VEEEEERY busy

So I'm starting to think I have a tiny little Jay in my belly, bicycling manically from one side of the womb to the other. It's gotten so that any time of day can be hammertime for Thelonious, not just morning and night like before. I'm feeling pretty good, other than waking up several times a night to either pee or shift my burgeoning belly from one side to the other. My back is starting to feel the strain, prompting me to buy a gi-normous body pillow ("it's like having a fourth grader in bed with us" Jay said, inappropriately). The body pillow is wonderful in many ways as it supports multiple areas of my swelling bod at once, but it's also a little like wrestling Shamu at night if I ever want to flip sides. I have a feeling the bed is just going to feel smaller and smaller.

I had an appointment with the midwife yesterday and it appears everything is perfectly normal and progressing well, which is great. Paula had trouble locating the baby's heartbeat because (surprise) Thelonious was wiggling around so much. I'm halfway through! Can you believe it? We've got lots of things to research, like finding a family doctor (as a back up), vaccinations, etc. etc. Decisions, decisions. Next week Jay, Bex, Ellis and I are all going to a seminar at the birthing center on co-sleeping.

Right now, Ellis is giving Becca a very enthusiastic face hickey. Just wanted to report the baby news up to the moment, as it happens.

We had a great weekend in Minneapolis, taking my mom out to the dreamiest Thai food ever and Hamlet at the Guthrie (I cried at the end, as I always do - oh the humanity!). Sunday was the Oscars, which I'm a little sad I broke my TV fast (it's been since last May!) to watch, as they were boooooo-ring. I'm not sure why I ever think celebrities are going to have something interesting to say. Oh well. It was great to spend some time with the fam, at any rate.

FLORIDA is a mere three days away, and I can't wait! I'm already getting the sunscreen and shades together, though my goal of painting my toenails for the trip may be a little far-fetched, as my mere attempts to trim them today made me feel like I had done a yoga workout, complete with paralyzing foot cramps. It's hard to give yourself a pedicure when you have to work around a mountain in your middle (in this vein, I have to mention that being pregnant has given me the best skin and most glamourous fingergails - you've never seen the like on a tomboy like me! Unfortunately, being pregnant does NOT keep me from getting mounds of barn dirt under said fingernails).

Jay and I are staying in a little motel on Clearwater Beach, which is about 30 minutes from Tampa. We'll be 120 yards from miles of white sand and turquoise water! It's hard to even imagine! How marvelous to feel the warm sun for a few days and eat some fresh seafood - just the tonic we need, methinks. I just hope I can get Jay on the plane back home!

I think that's it for now. Over and out!

Love and dolphin/manatee sightings to all,

Charis (& Thelonious)

2 comments:

anya milton said...

So you two are going for MTV's Spring Break Jams? Should be awesome, just tell them you're Brittany Spears. We're all wondering is she or isn't she preggers? Now you'll really solidify the rumor.

As I'm sure B told you, my family did the family bed, now known as co-sleeping. We do it now and it works great for us. Elka however has been banished from the bed...cause, let's face it, I'd rather keep my kidneys from being bruised and abused by her thrashing.

Also, be careful what seafood you eat, I know most doctors advise against it, but who knows. These days, Doctor's seem to scare the crap out of new moms. Ask your midwife if you're concerned. Have fun in Clearwater.

charissimo said...

HEY! I ADORE getting comments on my posts! Thanks, you two! It makes me feel so loved.

Thanks for the tips, Anya. Yes, I'm hoping to find a wet T-shirt contest strictly for pregnant ladies in Florida (there must be a niche for that kind of thing, right?). I'll be sure to bring my bustier and python and work on my lip-synching so I can get Brittany's act down pat before I get there. As far as the co-sleeping thing goes, right now we're trying to decide whether we want the baby IN the bed or in a sidecar bassinet thing ATTACHED to the bed. Either way, though I do believe in the family bed theory, but it's also about my laziness factor in not wanting to get up and walk into another room to feed the babe. And I'll definitely make my seafood choices judiciously! Thanks for the concern...

Hey, Nate, I'm so honored to get a response. Felonious is even doing a little flip for joy right now, because he's happy to be blogging with his cool uncle. As far as the manatees go ... dude, that would rock. Honestly, when I think about it, manatees kind of creep me out a little bit, but do let me know the name of the town though, because that's definitely the kind of maverick activity we're going to be seeking out. I'll drink a virgin pina colada for you!

Love love love

Charis