Monday, October 29, 2007

Requiem for my old friend



I said goodbye to my old girl on Saturday. She wasn't the most beautiful horse in the world, or the strongest or the fastest, but she was my dream come true, and I loved her. Because I loved her, I agonized for a long time as to whether I would choose to lay her to rest forever. But then I realized that my choice was to either do it and wonder whether it was the right thing, or to avoid doing it because it was going to be hard and then regret it. So because she was in failing health, I like to think I chose to do a hard thing for her sake, and to wonder instead of regret. I have always wanted to do right by her as she was a steady, faithful presence my life for over 22 years, and that means something.

I believe I saved Mistie twice: once from her first home, and then from a leasing family who had started to neglect her before I moved to the Midwest. But Mistie saved me far more times, from adolescent angst, from boredom, from crashing while jumping her over picnic tables in the park or riding her down Beaverton-Hillsdale Highway in nothing but a halter and rope. She kept me safe while also keeping my sense of youthful power and immortality in tact. She was a truly gifted jumper. She was sensible and stoic. She wasn't a complainer. She constantly forgave my numerous rookie mistakes. In her final years she was a fine barn mascot and the epitome of gentle kindness to Owain and my nieces Hope and Ellie, who took a special shine to her. She gave me focus, responsibility, and years and years of fun. She loved me back in her no-nonsense way.

She died peacefully on a beautiful, uncharacteristically warm October day, and spent her last morning in the corner of the pasture, where I found and photographed her sunning herself happily. I'm glad I was able to bury her here on the farm, where we will hold her in our memories.

I thank my stalwart husband, who I'm sure had no idea what he was getting into when he married a horse girl twelve years ago. He saw to some of the hardest parts on Saturday when I couldn't. I also thank all of my kind friends and family for their support and dear messages to me, none of which I've been able to respond to properly. So many of you have been there from the beginning of my journey with Mistie, and it is evident to me that you truly understand. Your love has filled me with gratitude and eased the way along this path.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

What lucky ladies you and Mistie were to find each other. You always put the needs of those you love first, Char, and this is the strongest test so far. I love you, my dear friend!
Corrie

christina said...

what a poetic tribute to your dear friend.

Anonymous said...

Hi Charis,

I know how difficult this was for you, and as I read this tears welled in my eyes for you as put to rest your dear friend of 22 years:) My heart connects with you as Britta is living the dream that you have had with Mistie and I know how deep her love is for her horse. The picture of you & Mistie jumping is phenemonal, what a tribute to both you & Mistie. You did the right thing my friend, peace to you and her memory.

mamamilkers said...

Oh, Charis. I can't even imagine how hard it was for you to let Mistie go. What a beautiful tribute you've written for her-- you'll have those memories for the rest of your life.

Many, many hugs to you.

Anonymous said...

Farewell, Mistie Morning. Our memories of you will live on for years to come. Remember the cake you baked for her homecoming party with all of her friends? I'd forgotten that one and my mom reminded me of it yesterday.

Give yourself permission to grieve this loss. Don't allow yourself to listen to the lie of "she was only an animal." Your grieving at her death needs to be as real as your love has always been. May you find peace in the midst of that pain.

Hugs!
Karen

The Process said...

I cried my way through your posting Charis because I know how hard it is to face death and dying. I think it makes you feel like a child again asking basic questions like what's fair, what loss is, why we have to say goodbye.

I admire you for your courage to honor Mistie by letting her go. To the very end, you were an advocate for your dear friend.

We love you.
NBS

Anonymous said...

My thoughts are with you, as I know first hand how difficult it had to be to loose Mistie. She and Barney were once in a lifetime horses. Part of that was because they were quirky and special little individuals. The other part is that we will never again in our lives have the time to spend with a horse that we did with Barney and Mistie. We rode those horses bareback from morning until night...until we literally wore the hair right off of their backs. We spent the lion's share of our adolescence traipsing through Southwest Portland with those critters. In hind sight it does make one wonder what our parents were thinking???

Now that I am parent, I can only hope Noel gets half as much from her horses as we did from Barney and Mistie. We really did learn so many of life's important lessons from them: The value of money, The value of hard work, The thrill of victory, The agony of defeat, and ultimately how to put their needs above our own. Pretty awesome when you think about it. Those muddy, little, unremarkably bred, horses were incredibly special, and helped shape the people we are today.

I am glad you were able to make this decision. I am convinced it was the right way to honor Mistie for all she has done and all she has been. Our lives and dreams our very different now, but there is always a corner of my heart reserved for you, Mistie, and the great times we had together.

Laura

Jennifer said...

Big ((((hugs))) for you Charis. I'm so sorry you had to let Mistie go. I'm crying too, reading your tribute to her. I know she'll own a special place in your heart forever.

jennifer (aka- 2 in August)

charissimo said...

I am honored and touched by all of the care and love I have received from so many of you throughout this process. You have helped me to grieve, and for that I am thankful.

~Charis

Frogs Mom said...

Charis - What a hard decision you had to make. It is clear how much you loved her. Hang in there.