Thursday, November 15, 2007

5 o'clock

Most nights at about 5 o'clock, I pour myself a glass of wine. While 5 is typically a crazy time around the house (boys running rampant, screeching, playing, wrestling, dinner-making, fire-stoking, cleaning up), this hour is a signal to begin to slow down. I love this time of year when darkness comes early - it's a subtle encouragement to shut down and revel in the warmth of the wood stove, the sounds of our family, the smells from the kitchen. Many nights I'm practically pulling my hair out, trying to keep Ellis in his chair at the dinner table, wondering why he hates peas tonight when he couldn't get enough of them yesterday.

This November evening, it's quiet and warm in the living room. My good husband and little boy are with me. And I'm savoring a glass of Portland wine.

2 comments:

Ann-Marie said...

it's five hours past 5 now, but you've inspired me to get a glass of mine own.

thanks for the picture, and for the reminder to savor special moments. :)

Anonymous said...

Hello to everyone at Lostview Farm!

Have you ever considered changing its name to Foundview Farm? It seems to me that by embracing and acting on your thoughts, dreams and desires (the way you have)you are finding a new view. I don't know how to say it exactly.

All my gibberish aside, I wanted to let you know that you've been tagged for the 8 Random Things Meme. Hope you'll play.

Cathy