Thursday, October 09, 2008

Autumn

Ellis: It's fall now, mama!
Me: How can you tell, Ellis?
Ellis: Because the leaves are falling! And the helicopters too! (the helicopter seed pods from the Box Elder tree). But these helicopters don't have windows.

It is fall. Red, orange, yellow, green, brown, gold. And that blue sky. This morning, Chris, Ellis and I took a walk through our neighboring field - a favorite place for skiing in winter too - and had a perfect view of autumn in all its splendor.




And, back in the garden, we have been taking down and cleaning up...preparing for winter and next spring. What was this in July:


Is this today:

Being the order-happy person that I am, I take great joy in this clean slate. I feel like it is the least we can do for this earth - put it to rest, appreciating the dark, rich soil, rid it of any remaining weeds - especially given the incredible bounty our garden blessed us with this year.

With all that is insecure with the economy, all that is in upheaval in politics, all the anxiety and fear and experts and politicians and media...today I simply turn off the radio and take refuge in the peace of the hills and valleys down Lostview Lane.

3 comments:

Catherine said...

I'm turning off NPR, hopping in my car and coming out to join you! (Sadly, just kidding...naptime cometh.)

Anonymous said...

Looking at your leaves gives me a sneak peek at the Fall to come here. Beautiful pictures, Becca!

Becca said...

Catherine - I think of you every fall! We'd love another visit from the Mandle family if you're ever itchin' to get out of the city!