Friday, February 12, 2010

The Queen

After much deliberation (three years' worth) about how/where/when to hook up the wood cookstove, we finally found a solution and fired up the Kitchen Queen this week.


And this baby can cook. Literally and figuratively. The kitchen has been about 85 degrees since getting it going last night, so we have some work to do in order to get the air moving through the kitchen and into the rest of the house. This stove has capacity to heat the entire house (not to mention gallons of water in tanks hooked up to the back of the stove) while cooking and baking our meals. Fabulous.

This morning, I had the pleasure of making my first breakfast with the Queen. French roast and 8 grain cereal never tasted so good.

5 comments:

Clint said...

Wonderful! My folks have one and I which I could figure out how to get one in to my house. Enjoy.

Kristi said...

Dan's been trying to sell me on getting one for some time now. Perhaps we could come out and I could see just how much he can drool while he looks at it. I am not adverse.... just wondering how much more effort cooking on such a beauty requires. You know because I have SO MUCH extra time on my hand and I seem to be sitting around looking for more things to do. She is pretty though!

charissimo said...

I doubt we'll be letting go of our conventional oven any time soon, Kristi - but you're welcome to come over! We'd love to show you the works!

Sara said...

Whoa! Okay this is beyond exciting for me and my husband. We have a kitchen queen that looks almost exactly like yours.... maybe even is exactly like yours. Anywho, we are still working on a place to put it as well... okay actually getting our own place to live in to put it.... We got it in 2009 and have yet to put it anywhere. Here is the awesome thing though.. We live in Colfax, WI. Wow, I never had any idea there were other like minded people that actually lived here and go to the Menomonie Market.... WOOT!... Sorry I got a little excited when I saw your blog. :)

Anyway, HI! I'm Sara.

Renee said...

That is a beautiful setup! I believe we may own a Kitchen Queen soon. I have a bid in on a used one on ebay... I'm curious to know, how did you end up hooking it up? Did you ever find a solution to moving the air around? And... after using it for a winter do you have any words of wisdom for a potential new owner of one?

Thanks!
Renee