Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Chicken Dance or Hammer Time?

Chris and Charis have now both been privy to Arthur's in utero dance party. What began two weeks ago as tiny flutters has swiftly elevated to wake-me-at-3a.m.-cartwheels. Every single time it's a happy surprise and we marvel at the miracle of what seems to be a very active little babe in my belly. Is that graceful dancing or clumsy uncoordination in there? Probably not hard to guess, given the genes Arthur is inheriting. But still, we can hope!

Spring is finally here in the great midwest and I have to laugh when I see the buds popping on the trees at the same time that my belly is popping out of my clothes! Today is week 20 - the halfway point. I'm measuring 34 inches around and have bid farewell to every pair of pre-pregnancy pants I own, save one baggy pair that I MacGyver-like fashioned with a button and rubber band to stretch a few extra inches. Beats the burlap sack Charis threatened I would have to wear. We have our 20 week check up and first ultrasound tomorrow afternoon - Chris and I are so excited to see some pictures and learn more about the babe. I've been feeling fantastic the past few weeks, so am hoping that continues with a clean bill of health from the doctor this time around.

The past few weeks have been really wonderful for me. From the accomplishment of a major event and milestone at my job to a blissful 4 day trip on my own to Florida, I have gone from crazy to proud and perfectly relaxed. The days I spent on my own in the warm, humid sun, were completely uneventful except that I found solitude and meditation in calming my mind, resting my bones, and listening to my body and baby. It was a needed break and a luxury for which I am grateful to Kelly (thanks for sharing your hotel room, you crazy working-woman!). The first few weeks of April culminated with a wild fun party at Elissa's "Canvas Clad" opening event at Offbeat Gallery last weekend. My growing belly filled out the artwork costume I wore for the event...a walking canvas signifying life & birth. It was an honor to wear Aunt Becky's beautiful costume creation at the event.

I was also happy to find my way back to the farm on Sunday after a long hiatus. The bathroom out there is becoming the brightest (albeit smallest) spot in the house. The transformation in that tiny room over the past 8 months is little short of a miracle. Charis and I proudly installed the beautiful tin backsplash in the kitchen and Jay, mom and I planted about 50 garlic starters in the lower garden.

We're pondering our options for house-farm-move-sell-rent this summer/fall. Between moving to the farm after baby arrives and determining what we can afford to do with the Minneapolis house, many decisions need to be made once we've researched our options a bit more. Do we sell? Do we rent? How much to sell for? What can we charge for rent? All this and a baby to boot. Thankfully, I'll be able to take about 4 months maternity leave before (hopefully) starting to work from farm/home part time in January and Chris will be able to take a few weeks then hopefully work his hospital shifts to allow us some good time together as a family when baby arrives. All of this is yet to be set in stone, so please send your prayers and good thoughts regarding a work/income/insurance situation for us this fall.

Charis and I were talking about how fortunate we feel to have each other and our families and friends as we step out into the great unknown of the future. It is only because of this communal life we've chosen that Chris and I can even consider staying home with our child, that we could afford to work part time, that we can look forward to raising our children on a beautiful farm in a wonderful community. While this turmoil of change is overwhelming, I am lucky to face these decisions and joyfully embrace our future. We are so excited, and Arthur is too.

Blessings and baby kicks to you all with love.
Becca

No comments: