Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Christening the Farmhouse

Well, we formally broke in the farmhouse last weekend with a little family action: Jay's folks Tom and Lynda, along with his brother Greg, sister-in-law Emily and their two girls, Hope and Ellie, came for the Memorial Day weekend and a good time was had by all (despite an insane tick infestation that eventually put Emily in the emergency room on Monday night!).

Along with some great meals - barbeque, sandwiches and cookies galore - we got to bask in the warm, summery sun like lizards on rocks and with the help of our very buff farmer neighbors got Tom and Lynda's piano into the house! Upon trying to determine the best way to haul the thing in, Brian (who lives at the corner of S and 810th) said "Let's just pick it up and get it in there, I've got cows to milk." This was a favorite and oft-repeated line over the course of the weekend and ended up being exactly what they did! We were then treated to some wonderful playing by Lynda and felt for the first time the beautiful energy that music brings to a home.

The place is really starting to feel like a dwelling, with only a few last things to do to finish up in there (molding being the biggest). Some other beautiful antique furniture the Collins' brought really adds to the place as well. We're very lucky in that both of our families are moving and downsizing, which means we get to outfit the farm in legitimate furniture! We're quite the grown-ups now!

Other activities included LOTS of horseback riding by Hope and Ellie, who ended up being very brave equestrians indeed. By the last day, Hope was trotting and cantering on good old Mistie, following behind Colby with Ellie and me aboard. It was delightful to see my dear ancient mare connecting with the next generation horse-crazy girl. We also planted sunflowers and, indulging the anal-retentive Swede in me, I'm embarrassed to report I scrubbed the propane tank. Meanwhile, the boys got in lots of fun on the riding mower (with little Ellie taking a nap in her dad's lap as he mowed) and Greg and Emily's dog Kota ran herself silly and enjoyed a little horse manure snack from time to time. It was such fun to see other people enjoying themselves at the farm! What a treat.

Encouraging news on the job front: Becca will most likely be able to work it out that she goes back to her job part time after her maternity leave, and Chris's work is willing to be flexible as well. So we're in good shape in that department. Jay has a job interview for a writing job at Chippewa Falls High School tomorrow, so cross your fingers! I have a training horse arriving on June 12 - one week after my new adoptee is supposed to come this Friday! Jay and I move permanently to the farm June 11 - never a dull moment around here! I'll probably be checking my email only weekly at most, so if you urgently need to reach me, you should call the farm after June 10: (715) 658 1581. I think my cell phone will be de-activated at that time as well.

There are millions of trillium opening their faces to the sun in our woods - it makes me think of Portland and Tryon Creek State Park. I miss my fellow Portlanders! Can't wait for Julianne, Corrie, Steph and Christa's arrival! We anticipate their arrival with great joy. Not sure if the hot tub will be in by then, but we're working on it!

It's been a long time since I posted - I'll try to do better. Meanwhile, we send you all kinds of furry farm love.

Fragrant honeysuckle blooms to all,

Charis

No comments: