Wednesday, October 19, 2005

The Invasion. Alternate title: They're BAAAAAAAAAAACK!

If you ever come and visit us in mid-October in the middle of an Indian summer and see the windows coming alive, red and writhing, just know you've entered what we refer to as LADY BEETLE HELL. Ah, yes, the Asian Lady Beetle. Not nearly as cute or as harmless as her little sister the common lady bug. These girls are EVERYWHERE right now, and they can bite - apparently because they're so hungry this time of year, what with getting prepared to hibernate (in our walls, they hope) and all. They can make a normally sane (or reasonably sane) person start to do maniacal things with a vacuum cleaner and a caulk gun. And they're smelly. And they COVER THE HOUSE. One need only stand on our deck in the afternoon to be covered with them, and to blanch at the tinny sounds of the ladies' shells hitting the aluminum siding. ICCCCCHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

This and the fly population overload are two of the downsides of an otherwise unbelievable fall season - crisp like braeburn apples and sunny-bright with a recent full moon to light our path at night and cast shadows on our hot-tubbin bods.

I've been reading Faulkner for the first time in my life (how did I ever get my English degree?), enjoying not having a "real" job since I was 14 (not counting moves and car accidents). I get to do my farm chores and play with baby Ellis and do my morning sweeping and go for walks as my job right now, and I hope to never have to put on another pair of pantyhose again, even if I do end up working in the cities in the future.

Ellis does NOT LIKE TO GO TO SLEEP. I mean, he does sleep, and when he does, he's out cold - he just doesn't like the getting there part. I blame this on him wanting to hang out with his homegirl Auntie Charis and not miss a minute of the witty repartee that fills the farm house (we wish). But seriously, Ellis is becoming quite the grinnin' little character. He's punching and kicking karate-style these days, and his baby mullet will soon be the envy of all the rednecks out here. He's growing REALLY FAST - his onesie-jammies are starting to get a little snug in the feet - and the baby swing that Greg and Emily loaned us seems to release a baby narcotic when activated, because he LOVES IT!

The horses are great - I'm riding Gideon regularly on the trails and got B to take a picture of us today in our full saddled up glory - hopefully to be posted soon.

Alright, my time's up on the Colfax library computer, as per usual. Everyone here is fine - how 'bout you?

Love and chewy-tart caramel apples to all...

Charis

1 comment:

charissimo said...

Thanks for the tip, Barbara - I'll check the meatrix out when I'm not sitting at the Colfax Library computer with a bunch of junior high girls looking over my shoulder - but I will, I promise!

Justin! It's wonderful to hear from you. Jay wishes you were around in this neck of the woods for some serious jamming in our garage (which now has a woodstove in Jay's practice room!) Great news about your house and music and movie making opportunities. Come visit the farm if you ever get the urge to tour the midwest (not likely, I know, but a girl can dream). Love to you and Jenelle (sp?) - hope I have it right!

Charis