Thursday, October 06, 2005

The three religions in Wisconsin

They are: Lutheran, deer hunting, and the Green Bay Packers.

We had a one-eyed raccoon hunter come by our place yesterday to ask whether, if his dogs were to tree a raccoon on our land, he could shoot it out of the tree. Also, this morning my neighbor Ilene (who is around 90 years old, I think) called because there was a strange horse in her yard when she woke up and she wondered if one of mine was missing. Really, could this happen anywhere but in Dunn County, WI? I'm sure there are other places, but sometimes it's like I'm taking crazy redneck pills and I ain't never gonna wake up from this country livin' dream.

The Beyrers invited us over for Sunday dinner,which was great fun - all the men in their nature-themed oxford shirts (turkeys, deer - all of the hunted)and the ladies in their sunday best. They were making fun of themselves for apparently stopping and pulling a freshly hit deer off the road to use for meat. It was a clamorous culture clash, but lively and silly and fun with TONS of midwest food - meatballs, ham, hotdish, jello squares. We're realizing how different we are from the neighbors, but they're pretty open to our ideas - especially the wood-fired hot tub, which intrigues them to no end (at one point, the conversation actually centered on whether a person could actually shoot a deer from our hot tub. Yes, it was determined. I think they want to give it a try). I appreciate that they're willing to give these crazy city-folk hippie types a chance. B and I are having Sherri and Ilene over for tea next week.

I found a secret trail as I rode Colby today - winding down a path through the golden-red trees and a hidden meadow to a road I didn't recognize.

Ellis peed on me this morning - an initiation ceremony, I think.

Okay, I have to get off this public computer now; kids are waiting. More to come...

Love and crimson tree leaves to all,

Charis

No comments: