Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. It is about community and food. It is not about consumerism.

I am up right now and extremely thankful. Maybe because I am thankful, I am up! Dinner is awesome at the farm. Every meal is a party for the tastebuds: awesome homebrew, exquisite pizza, spectacular breads and salads, entrees that tickle my toes. Every meal is a party for the mind: laughter galore, wonderful ideas about theology, striking ideas about sustainability and life choice. Every meal is a party with friends: sitting at a table with the five of us is so invigorating and life giving - plus everyonce in a while friends: Erik, Corrie, Dan and Robin, Ted and Jeannine, Kevin and Allison, my family.

Despite the bitter cold and all things brown, the farm is still beautiful. The rolling hills list like a beautiful woman who has shed her clothes. I now see the extra curves and details. The sunrise and sunsets on my rides to and from work are a plethera of color and delight. (I count more deer than cars on my bike ride. I actually thought about changing my name to "Bicycles With Deer".) The vantage point from a cedar hot tub and moonlight to read by helps add to my thanksgiving.

I had a wonderful Thanksgiving weekend. My parents and Greg, Emily, Hope and Ellie visitied for two full days (food, laughter and games). What a treat to have a three year old sit in your lap and constantly touch your beard and kiss your neck. I am most thankful for a conversation I had with everyone. My brother and family called me on the carpet. In talking about school and society, I always talk about the bad and wrong. Why not talk about what is going well, what I am doing to make a change and improve things? Instead I always talk about what needs to be changed and what needs to be improved. My fear is settling and thinking things are fine, this is why I stress the problems more.

Dennis Plies stresses too graditude. Therefore, some more.
- I actually love being in the classroom and the students. They are so creative and full of life and joy. The crack me up everyday.
- I met some teachers who are forward thinking and not settling. I can talk to them and bounce anger and ideas.
- I am playing in a big band everyweek. What a kick to read big band charts and play with others. I sit in a jam session regularly and know the musicians in town. I will be sitting in the orchestra pit for Bye Bye Birdie in February.
- The practice room is almost done and Chris and Erik have worked extra hard and kind for my dream.
- Charis loves me and sticks by me through all of this. She is too great and good.
- The horses are fun to ride and watch play outside our bedroom window.
- Chopping wood and collecting wood. To sweat when it is 20 degrees outside and have no need or desire to come in.
- The library has great music and friends keep me updated with great books and articles from the internet. Gaeaphobia. The Spirits Catches You and You Fall Down is lighting my senses and I keep thinking what can I do with my Hmongs students to write their parents stories.
- A picture of Wendell Berry in the Smithsonian Magazine. He is beautiful with a gorgous and contagious smile. Why is this guy smiling with all the crap in our society and environment? The balance, that is my quest and thankful to have it and know it.

Hope you all had a joyous Thanksgiving.

Jay

1 comment:

DrT said...

Thanks for sharing. We also had a nice Thanksgiving at home. Jorge, Bernice, Marus, and I. We miss you and hope to see you soon. Best regards to all of you.