Thursday, December 08, 2005

Currier & Ives on acid

That's what it looked like this morning as I made my trek through the snow. Shortly after the sun came up (blood red in the sky, lazing in gauzy suggestions of clouds) a freaky haze came over us and delivered the most amazing hoarfrost all over everything. I think I love this palette so much because I'm not very used to the pales of midwest winter. I have taken up walking - between 3 and 6 miles every morning depending on my mood, energy level, and amount of time. It's usually around 0 (cold for this time of year) and I'm unrecognizable in my puffy blue jacket, blaze orange hat and face wrap. I feel like the character in "To Build a Fire" because when I get home, I have chunks of frost all over my eyelashes and hair. Sometimes I don't feel like walking when I get started, but once I've fed the horses and experienced the chill, I'm invigorated and I want to go. The naked trees make for spellbinding views from the tops of the ridges - it's a whole different reality from the very same spots in the summertime.

Well, it must be getting closer to Christmas, as the blow up Spongebob Squarepants Santa is back to bobbling in the neighbor's yard. This year we're going to hold our first annual holiday open house for the neighborhood. We'll see how that goes!

Ach, I hate that I'm always on the run when I get the chance to blog, but ... I gotta run. Jay's class is doing "The Best Christmas Pageant Ever" and I'm due there shortly. HEY! Unto you a child is born!

Love and woolly hats and mittens to all!

Charis

No comments: