Monday, October 16, 2006

Owain @ 8 weeks





Hey everyone! Just a little Owain update: what a monkey! Our child is in PERPETUAL MOTION, even when sleeping (which is why Jay and I have switched sides in bed, as he has the gifts necessary to sleep next to an eggbeater!) According to Jay's mom, Jay was a little spaz too (surprise, surprise) - I have to admit that I did ask the baby fairy to give our child Jay's metabolism and my teeth, so I suppose I shouldn't complain. One down and one to go!

We seem to have pinpointed Owain's digestion issues to dairy products, eggs and my iron supplement(!) and as I avoid these, his reflux is beginning to improve. Of course, he could just be growing out of it. Our nights are a bit better as we're getting a bit of a routine down. Still sleep deprived (he wakes to eat about every 2 1/2 hours or so - sometimes longer on a good night) but not quite as much of a zombie, all in all.

Jay's back to work today, and the baby and I have enjoyed a chill day. We took a hike despite rainy weather. Owain is already holding his head up by himself, which the sling brochure says doesn't usually happen until between 3 - 4 months, which leads me to conclude that our child is extremely advanced/talented and gifted (T.A.G.) in the neck strength department. Such a big boy!

We had a great weekend in Madison seeing Jay's family and giving Owain time to bond with Grandma and Grandpa, Aunt Emily and Uncle Greg and Cousins Hope and Ellie. Fun!

Alright, that's it for now.

Over and out!

Charis



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you're emerging from zombiehood. Adric was a wiggler as well and often woke himself with his startle reflex. We actually started swaddling him for sleep at about 9-10 weeks and found it to be a HUGE help! I just used a long piece of thin flannel and got really good at wrapping him securely. The swaddling was what enabled him to sleep in his own space for the first time (as opposed to on my chest!) and stretched his sleep cycles from about 1-2 hours at a time to more like 4-5 hours. BIG difference to a sleep-deprived mama! :^)

You amaze me, keeping up with the harvesttime farm activities with Owain in tow. My mouth is watering just looking at that cider! YUM!

charissimo said...

Thanks for the tips!

Cor, the acid reflux seems to be worse at night because he's not upright like he is much of the day. But it is a bit of a mystery, since the reflux seems to disappear completely during the day, which is rare.

Karen, I just today got on the swaddle bandwagon - I think i'm gonna try it tonight. I just spent the last hour lying down with him, holding his hands to his chest while he slept with some success. So even though the swaddling has kind of annoyed him when we've tried it in the past, maybe there's some other trick... if that doesn't work, we're putting him on ritalin!

KIDDING, people, KIDDING!

Thanks for the comments!

C