Thursday, June 05, 2008

Green, green, everywhere

Oh my goodness, is it green. It is raining and warm and LUSH. Green grass, green trees, green fields, green garden. Every single spring I gaze slack-jawed at the buzzing life outside my window, wondering how it's possible that there was snow on the ground and nary a blade of grass just 8 weeks ago. We are trying a new growing method with our vine tomatoes - the cedar posts pictured above support twine trellises that the tomatoes will wrap around as they grow and climb. Here's hoping it's an easier, sturdier method than staking every plant - and resistant to big storms! One more thunderstorm just made it's way through.

Of course, lots of green grass means lots of time on the "new" beautiful 80's lawn tractor. Chris is teaching Ellis to steer the thing. 2 1/2 and learning to drive already. As you can imagine, he is VERY proud of his new skills and takes his job very seriously. Ellis is pictured here in the just barely less dangerous trailer of the tractor.

This spring also marked the bike-riding milestone for Ellis. He learned to pedal a trike a few weeks ago, and can steer his way around our deck or the city sidewalks like an old pro. Maybe all his experience driving the lawn tractor has paid off.

We are all about the garden these days - more beds, more seeds in the soil, with a solid plan and room for growth. Hopefully we'll even get these fresh, vibrant veggies into the hands and kitchens of more people. Maybe soon this wonderful, hard work will pay off in ways beyond our own pantry.

The fresh asparagus is enough to make any vegetable-hater a fast convert, and I'm dyin' for some more vanilla ice cream to sit side-by-side with the rhubarb in my bowl.
...and there was snow on the ground 8 weeks ago.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Becca! I think Jakob and Ellis live similar lives with similar interests despite being thousands of miles apart. Jakob also loves driving daddy's tractor (as he calls the riding lawn mower) pulling the trailer like the one pictured with Ellis. The other day while I was making dinner he was literally wondering the perimeter of the entire yard in the rain coming in a couple times to ask me where daddy was and when he'll be home so that they can work on the yard. I think it's great that he loves helping outside so much. Well, fun to see the pics - hope you're doing well.
Love ya, Anna C.

anya milton said...

I'm jealous! It's June and I have the heat on. When I went to work this morning it was 44ยบ. How I miss the midwest!