Friday, July 24, 2009

A day in my life...

When Anya was visiting this week, she asked what my days look like now that Phelan has arrived and I'm on leave from my job until Labor Day. I let out a big sigh, ready to rattle off whatever it is that seems to fill my days to overflowing. And when it came down to it, the list was shockingly sparse and looked something like this:

Spending time with Phelan, of course. A LOT of time--holding, nursing, rocking, snuggling, slinging, soothing, and making googly eyes at each other.
We get a lot of this...

...and some of this too.

Watering the upper garden, where I'm trying my best to keep the peppers, beans, tomatillos, cucumbers, squash and broccoli alive. And by "watering" I mean wrestling with this hose for half the time and actually soaking the plants for the other half of the time.
Digging, pulling, cursing at and throwing these weeds out of the upper garden, where they seem to thrive during this drought with no trouble at all. The irony is that people actually BUY purslane and lamb's quarter (pictured below) at the co-op while we can't seem to rid ourselves of it fast enough. (Yes, the opportunity here has been considered.)
And finally, I spend a lot of time scanning the fridge & garden, looking for something to eat for myself or the rugrats. Thrilling, I know.
It's a simple life, folks. Seems a little ridiculous that it could feel as crazy as it does, but there you have it. And when it's filled with love (and let's be honest, whining and crying) from these boys, it's hard to imagine it any other way.

2 comments:

Kathie said...

wonderful to hear your voice, Becca. What a darling little boy -- and Ellis! wow he's so grown up. Thanks for taking the time to let us in on your days on the farm. love you all, kathie

charissimo said...

You forgot the cup of coffee and the glass of wine! The beverages feel so left out.