Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Gideon is here (alternate title: 90 and rising)

It's HOT here. It's like the whole of the midwest is the orange part, and don't touch it, cause it's HOT. And sweaty. I'm actually considering getting a headband like basketball players in the 70's wore to keep the sweat out of my eyes.

My darling Belgian finally arrived, and in a panic after being bitten by nasty flies and riding in the trailer hour after hour, dove through the electric fencing (right in between the two tapes! Amazing and balletic! Leaving the fence in tact! Good boy!)and ran and ran through the neighbor's field. Jay and I went after him, I with a bucket of grain. As nervous as he was, when he saw me, he trotted right over and dumped his head right in the halter, following me back to the barn like an oversized donkey. I've decided to call him Gideon (aka Platterfoot), not after the bibles in hotel rooms, but rather because it fits him - sort of medieval and sturdy feeling. This horse is one big character, let me tell you! He loves water, and can be regularly found cooling his front feet in his trough. I can't wait to take him down to the river for a dip! He's a big lover and adores being groomed and even goes around with the saddle on okay - he's clearly a genius, having learned so many things over the course of a couple of weeks. At first he thought he could jump in my lap every time he got nervous, but he's learning more respect every day. He's just a wonderful boy and a marvelous addition to the equine community at Lostview Farm.

Our time with the girls was awesome and inspiring and heartbreaking and laughter-filled all at once. Heartbreaking because they left too soon, but so fun to see them and see the farm through their eyes. Truly that is what the farm is made for - people! So get us on your calendars, you hear?

For some balance, I thought I'd list the three things I hate about the farm, since I do so much glowing and prattling on. In order of the most hatred: 1. Our beloved Portland gang not being here with us on a regular basis (waahhhhh! why can't Wisconsin be next to Oregon on the map?) 2. WORKERS DO NOT CALL BACK, THEY DO NOT COME WHEN THEY SAY THEY WILL COME, THEY DO SHODDY WORK SOMETIMES 3. The bugs are multitudinous and much meaner here. That's it on the list for now. The river is number one on the things I love the most list right now, for obvious reasons. Yesterday the boys took their beers and I actually made a screwdriver I made up in the vodka bottle and we went down for a swim. Does this make me an honest-to-god redneck now? Yes, yes it does.

Many many apologies about my sorry emailing habits (or lack thereof). I get to a computer about once every three weeks to a month,and to be honest the sheer numbers of emails have got me completely overwhelmed. Take heart if I haven't gotten back to you. At some point I will - it may be sadly outdated correspondence by then, but I will do it. I need to take a day in the cities just to keep in touch.

I just read the book "With" by Donald Harington at Matt Plies' recommendation (in fact, such a recommendation that he actually sent me the book!) This was by far my favorite read in a long time. And kind of how I feel about life right now. I want to be Eve in the garden. And I want to collect more and more animals and life around me always.

Love and firefly magic to all,

Charis

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

thanks char . iwas hungary for an entry . people can always call the farm if they want to communicate, rather than waiting for your email. gideon sounds too wonderful. why isn't oregon next to wisconson? but you are always in our hearts. love.amy