Thursday, July 28, 2005

Sliding down the slippery slope to carnivorism

Let me tell you a little story about a little pig named Pig #8. Pig #8 was born on the Beyrer farm and grew up fast with his buddies, tearing around in the mud and pasture, porking out (as one might say) on tasty grub, and generally enjoying himself. One fine day, Pig #8 went to the Colfax fair, where he won a blue ribbon for his good looks and fine physique. The next day, despite (or because of) his blue ribbon, he made a final journey over the rainbow bridge, where he became some of the most delicious sausage and chops I've ever eaten. How did this happen??!! How did the most soft-hearted beans and rice vegetarian ever slide into this cave-woman lifestyle? I must say, I've enjoyed eating our pig, and our freezer is stuffed with all kinds of tasty porcine parts that I look forward to ingesting. I blame the farm. I work hard, and meat is yummy! It sustains me all morning to have a little bacon with breakfast, is that so wrong?

It's taken some getting used to, I have to admit. Other news on the mammal-killing front: Flannery and Gus are now both avid mouse hunters and some nights have brought in two or three for me to ooh and aah over. They are definitely happier cats with the dawning of this recent development. It's like they have actual jobs for the first time in their lives! You'll know we've gained hillbilly status when we start cooking up the mice on skewers.

Ah, the circle of life.

Jay and I just returned from a wonderful stint at our family cabin on Golden Lake in the Upper Penninsula, MI - Jay and my cousin Ben BIKED UP THERE from the farm - around 100 miles a day to make it in two days. My husband is a maniac! A wiry, spazoid maniac hopped up on pork and beer! We were up at the cabin with much of my mom's side of the family until Wednesday afternoon, then Jay had a job interview this morning in Menomonie and I just dropped him off at the airport for a flight to Colorado so he can help his parents move to Madison. August brings more visitors to the farm: my dad for a few days, Chris' cousin Mark (who has graciously offered to help us build the deck), and Jay's entire family, including Uncle Ken and Aunt Edna. It's gonna be raucous! My training horse leaves in mid-August, and by the end of August, we'll all be on call for Aurthur to pop his tiny pointed head into the world. I really cannot express on this blog how excited I am for that day. The farm will do well to welcome a wee baby. We will be complete then.

TTFN. Love and BBQed brats to all,

Charis

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

all right you little meat eater another entry please love you guys aj