Saturday, April 22, 2006

Cookies and Milk

I'm sitting inside having cookies and milk while Ellis takes an unexpected nap. Charis and Jay are mulching the garden paths and Chris is busy with other farm errands. The hot tub is ready for soaking.

It's a beautiful cloudy-sunny-cloudy-sunny-cloudy Saturday afternoon. Chris, Ellis and I took a hike up along the ridge through the woods before lunch. Lots of green at the top where the trees andn leafy forest floor get the most sun. Though the trees are still budding...still waiting for the thick foliage to burst open. My favorites are these beautiful, dainty red buds that pop out on the bare branches before any green leaves. I still need to find out what kind of tree it is. And the oblong, mint green buds that look like delicate, funny insects.

We had some of Jay's coworkers over for dinner last night. Great people who were fun and immediately comfortable to be with. They had many compliments and comments about the farm. It's always good to see the place through a new visitorx's eyes again - makes me re-appreciate all that we have here.

Ellis is awake now, and he'd like to blog:
m ≤ ffffffou7weasssxzccfcd ffbbhjkjkkfdddd4tf232
All right, now I'm in trouble for taking the computer away from him. Ellis has become very opinionated and actually throws a tantrum if we have to take something away from him...usually a piece of paper he's turned to mushy pulp or the pages of a book he's got a vice grip on, and now the computer I've checked out from work. Ellis is just over 7 months now and is becoming more of a little boy and less of a baby. He's getting close to wanting to crawl - not quite sure what to do once he's on his hands and knees, but certainly strong enough to get there. He loves eating and babbling and watching Chris play guitar, while yelling along with the tune. We're starting to sign with him - just "milk," "eat," and "more" to begin with, and he thinks it's hysterical when we show him the signs. It's probably just a funny version of "pat-a-cake" for him.

As usual, I'm trying to find balance in my life. I love being a mom, but I also find myself being frustrated that I spend the majority of my day mothering instead of working in the garden (a portion of which we do with Ellis in the backpack) or doing house projects, let alone spending any time on a hobby. I need to find the time for myself doing those things though, even if in little doses. When I have a little time writing a letter or digging in the garden, it makes my time with Ellis and Chris and Charis and Jay better.

I'm off to try and snatch a little bit of that time right now. So long!

No comments: