Monday, June 05, 2006

The hummingbird yeller

Hey everyone!

I'm sitting here at the new laptop computer watching four fawns (older now, with their spots melting away) amble across the newly-mown hayfield out front, giving Gideon a start and causing him to momentarily cease his grazing.

I have to tell you this story, even though Chris, Becca and Jay will all roll their eyes, as they've heard it told (very loudly, I might add) many times now. I was out watering my flowers when one of the ruby-throated hummingbirds came buzzing around getting his fill from the blooms. He then proceeded to perch not 6 inches from me on one of our solar-powered lanterns, cocked his head and looked me straight in the eye for a good long time. I swear! I really wanted to pull a Snow White and reach my finger out for him to perch on, but somehow I resisted. I have a feeling this is just the beginning of my hummingbird whispering career. Of course, I then told the story very enthusiastically to Becca, who happened to be the first one out the front door, then Jay and Chris had to hear it again and yet again as every word was plainly audible from inside the house. In Mexico, they call hummingbirds little warriors, which I really like. They're very territorial and we often see them chasing each other off of the flowers in the yard. We're also seeing tons of yellow and orange finches, cardinals, red winged blackbirds and LBJs (Little Brown Jobs, as Becca calls them). It's definitely bird season round these parts.

It's also tick season. And spider season. And fly season. And yellow jacket season. I really could never have imagined being so blase about finding ticks in my bed, but I guess that's what happens when it's a nightly occurence. It's also a little disturbing when one starts to think of ticks in terms of the "good" kind (wood ticks) and the "bad" kind (deer ticks - lyme's disease carriers). Just one more indicator of my authentic country girl status, I like to think.

Dad's graduation weekend was a smashing success, with a highlight being a soiree in my parents' back yard. My daddy's a doctor now! Lots of family and friends were present for the festivities. Nathan and Barbara came up and stayed with us out here for a couple of nights, which was great fun. We had lots of good discussions and took breakfast out on the deck, thank you very much.

Ellis is officially crawling now - more a cross between a downward dog pose and bear walking really, but motoring along all the same. He's getting to be a VERY BIG BOY.

Well, I can't think of much more news at this time. June will be busy with birthing classes, birthdays, visitors, garden frolicking, vegetable eating and other fun summertime diversions. In one week Jay and hundreds of kids will begin enjoying their few months of freedom. Now if I can just get consistent sleep some night (I'm up to 5 trips to the bathroom now, and it never fails: when I go to bed, Thelonious wants to party) we'll be in business!

Love and a big bowl of mixed greens,

Charis

3 comments:

Matthew said...

Charis,
shocking, nonhumans communicate with humans!! given our several million year history of associating with these most amazing creatures (hummingbirds, et cetera) it's most beautiful to experience those connections directly! We are all _____-whisperers. You're articulating your awareness...the kind of awareness we all can (and "should" feel if we are paying attention.
-Matthew

charissimo said...

Hummingbirds, coyotes and the whitetails are among my favorite spring/summer farm denizens. I'm still working on appreciating the insect population like you do, Matthew. I'm too busy keeping them off of the horses, I guess (some of the ticks are positively prehistoric looking out here - like brontosaurs).

Last night at around 10:30 two packs of coyotes were raising up their voices in a wild call and response chorus - the most primitive, lonely sound. And the deer are unspeakably graceful and sleek when the grass gets good. They no longer have the gaunt and haunted look they get in the late fall with the arrival of the hunters and frigid temperatures. As a result, often they'll stop and give me a couple minutes of curious staredown instead of bouncing off as soon as they see me coming.

I'm beginning to embrace my inner transcendentalist!

As always, thanks for your comment, Matty Lou. Nice to hear from you.

CC

charissimo said...

Cor, I love that I bring out the Amster in you!