Saturday, June 17, 2006

Oh Ma Ga it's hot!

So it's 91 out right now and as humid as all get-out. Becca, Chris and Ellis have taken a trip down to the ol' swimmin hole, which is what all smart folks should be doing right now. The reason I'm not there too is because I'm trying to purge all of my bodily toxins in this here sweatlodge. Actually, I'm not sure if any of you reading this have ever been 8 months pregnant, but if you have, then you know there can be some technical difficulties related to time spent in the ol' swimmin hole, especially if you're too cheap to buy a maternity swimsuit (this will NOT keep me from taking an inner tube float with you, Julianne, in case you are reading this from the road - I'll figure something out). It's just that in the summertime a preggie and the little radiator inside her belly can together start to feel a bit ... cumbersome. And a little bovine. No matter how many times a person tells you how beautiful and bountiful a pregnant woman's body is, usually that person must be reminded that it's 90 DURNED DEGREES OUT and chances are they are also someone who is not currently sporting a pregnant woman's body in late June in the Midwest. Arrrrrgh! On the up side, my nightly bathroom forays have been cut in half with the amount of sweating I'm accomplishing on a daily basis. So, goodie!

Alright, enough of my whining already!

I'm trying to think of something highly stimulating to report. Um... Gussie has apparently cheated death by eating a bunch of leaves from an arrangement of lilies, promptly barfing them up and living to tell the tale. In fact, he's FINE, having shown no discomfort whatsoever (most of what I've researched on this matter says that cats experience liver shutdown and death within 6 hours if they even TASTE A TINY SMIDGEN of lily leaf. We're thinking of having him choose some lotto numbers for us).

We've been busy doing some farm chores, but mostly in the early morning and later evening as the heat makes too much productivity near impossible. We've got LOADS and LOADS of lettuce - more than we can possibly keep up with. The broccoli is just about ready, and we're pulling beets, radishes and turnips out of the ground. The rhubarb continues its exponential growth. It's been the driest spring in ages here, and things look a little more brown than usual. The horses are SERIOUSLY FAT, as I haven't been able to work them as I normally do, though I did find a very cool belly band to support the tum while I ride.

This weekend Jay is at a summer solstice music festival where my cousin Elissa's husband Erik's band is playing. His friend holds this huge party at his farm every year. Either tomorrow or Monday Julianne and Mark will be rolling in, hot from sightseeing sojourns at Yellowstone and Mt. Rushmore. We'll be very happy to spend time with people who get as excited about outbuildings as we do!

Jay and I have been going to birthing classes at the birth center, which has been great. We're in class with two other couples, both of whom are also pregnant with their first child and are due in early August. I now know more about my nether regions (among other things) than I ever thought imaginable. I'm thinking more and more that I might just have to go the birthing-in-a-tub route. Sounds pretty nice! Especially if there's bubble bath...

This just in - I have to report on a little exchange I just overheard between Becca, Ellis and Chris:

Becca: Ellis, scissors are boring and dangerous.
Chris: (waves scissors back and forth tantalizingly in front of Ellis' face while making fun-loving snipping noises)
Becca: Chris! Now Ellis thinks scissors are the best thing ever!

Okee dokee, I'm signing off so I can wipe the copious sweat from my brow. Maybe it's time to pull out the basketball headband from the 1970s my dad loaned me!

Love and tall frosty cold ones to all,

Charis

5 comments:

charissimo said...

Okay, first of all, can I just say one thing, and that is HOW MUCH I LOVE CORRIE'S JOHNNY-ON-THE-SPOT COMMENTING? It seriously makes my day every time. Also, the image of Jay riding his bike sporting a huge beer belly AND my belly band is slaying ME, so now we're even!

Besos

Char

Matthew said...

As you may know, Martin was born in the kiddie pool at our house. Sarah's labor was short and intense and she was MUCH relieved by the warmth and the lessened gravity...
and just outside the window where I dumped out the water in buckets, the plants flourish.

charissimo said...

I remember now! That's awesome. They have a nice big clawfoot tub at the birthing center too, just for the relaxation piece, but I'm thinking that springing for the whole enchilada would be worth it! My midwife says that the only thing that can be an issue is that if it's REALLY hot and humid the birthing pool can make the space feel like a steam room. Still, I think I'm gonna take the chance. A very nice option, to be sure.

CC

charissimo said...

Yeah, as you can imagine, there's a lot of that kind of stuff that goes on around here. So laugh it up, laugh slut!

Love, your fellow L.S.,

CC

Becca said...

Corrie, you really did conjure up the EXACT image that actually happened with those darn scissors! We're working on teaching Ellis "no" right now, which just really feels like an exercise in futility most of the time, since he thinks it's hysterical every time I say no and show him the sign for no. Wish me luck - I've got a baby who laughs at "no" and a husband who teaches him that scissors are crazy silly fun toys!