Friday, February 09, 2007

Socks, Corn Nuts, and a Set of Steak Knives

Right now I am wearing the coziest slippers I've ever owned. They're soft and stripey and like the best socks but with soles! My glee about my new slippers is due completely to the generosity of Amy J., Corrie and Ruthie. You see, yesterday we received our annual post-Christmas Christmas package from the ladies. We've come to adore this yearly outpouring of goodies, always including socks from the Fred Meyer sock sale. I'm not kidding you, 90% of the socks in my drawer are from Amy and Corrie. So, today I sit in my cozy slipper socks, enjoying chocolate covered macadamia nuts, lavish lotion, toys for the boys, while I enjoy every page of our newly acquired "Cup of Joy" cookbook. I don't know how they did it, but those ladies snagged us a copy of this old gem. Last night Jay and I leafed through the sections, looking for recipes from our favorite people. Some winners included stuffed grape leaves from Diane Roth, millet waffles from Barb Plies, green mint brownies from Amy J. and frozen fruit salad from Kathie Gray, (sour cream, fruit cocktail, mini marshmallows, and food coloring - it's as easy as that!).

A thousand thanks, ladies. We're planning our menu right now.

5 comments:

Christa Duddleston said...

I was very excited for you at first reading your list of fantistic goodies from Amy, Corrie and Ruth ... but then I read something that turned me the color of jealous. You got the Cup of Joy cookbook! What the hell! Seriously, that is a major honor. Use you mayonaise recipes with pride.

charissimo said...

Yeah, Christa, I'm still dying to know how the ladies got their red hot mitts on that one. Nobody has come forward with details as of yet...

Kath, Bex and I thought it would be funny to include that fruit ambrosia thing because we knew that would probably be the last thing in a million years you'd put in the church cookbook TODAY considering the organic/homespun/wholesome ingredient kitchen goddess you are...

Love to both, and thanks for the congrats on the neice! We're thrilled!

CC

Anonymous said...

Seriously though, do not turn up your nose to the mayo filled casserole recipes. There are some real gems in there.

And that cup of joy has saved my bacon more than once. It's always the last place I look, but it holds some kind of cookbook magic because it never fails to yield what I need.

J

Anonymous said...

Hi Lostview Ladies,
My brothers choice for his birthday dinner every year is STILL the chicken broccoli casserole (I think Milly Flippo?) out of Cup of Joy. How can you go wrong with mayo, sour cream and cheese?!!
I love seeing the pictures of your beautiful boys. I will email and send you a picture of Gracie. Congratulations on your beautiful new niece!
Love, Jill

Becca said...

We love the broccoli chicken casserole too!! Then there's my mom's "noodle bake" and hamburger vegetable soup and a zillion rice puddings in that bible of a cookbook... it's the food from our childhood and there's no better definition of comfort food than that.