Sunday, September 09, 2007

Kathie at the farm





We eagerly anticipated the arrival of Kathie Gray here at Lostview, and our dear friend quickly made an impression, bearing homemade delights from Oregon (hot fudge sauce, apricot nectar, blackberry sauce and strawberry-rhubarb jam) and charming the wee ones like a modern day pied piper with her musical gifts and willingness to get down on the floor and play. We just love Kathie. I was honored when she paid us compliments on our gardens and meals, but also had to remind her that she was and still remains one of my biggest role models in so much of what we aim to do around here! I'm always impressed when somebody who is here at the farm essentially on vacation is totally excited about the chores. Kathie was the impetus for getting a big batch of applesauce canned (some of which is pictured above), and was an enthusiastic harvester throughout her visit.

Owain was completely taken with Aunt Kathie and spent much of the time pestering her to read to him. Owain is quite the character these days, munching raspberries (also pictured above) straight off the bushes - which are conveniently located at eye-level - and mooing at the cows in the nearby pastures. He also rides the horses with me now with relatively little help, grabbing mane and balancing himself!

2 comments:

Christa Duddleston said...

I'm not surprised one bit that Kathie was a star at the farm! I'm glad and jealous that you all had so much fun. *sigh*

Also ... Did Ellis have a birthday recently? The big 2!?

Kathie said...

wow! I feel like a star being featured in such glowing terms! I'm still smiling from my time with you all; thanks for your hospitality. It was a privilege and a blast to be a part of your life on the farm, if only for a few days. I love you all! kathie