Sunday, January 11, 2009

Becoming a Wisconsonian

Fifteen minutes into the New Year, I became an official Wisconsinian. I finished 2008 with a fabulous big band gig at The Heyde Center for the Arts in Chippewa Falls. I played baritone sax that night and as I belted loud low notes, the people danced. There were kick lines, the stage was shaking and I could not hear my own solos. It was a total blast. The gig only went to 10:30, and after hanging out for a bit with the band and a Lienie's (being that we were in Chippewa), I headed home.

When the clock was striking midnight, a local and I saw fireworks off in the distance from somebody's farm. We were both outside in the single digit cold figuring out how to get his car out of the ditch. He had a friend coming with a truck and a shovel, so after the fireworks, I wished him a Happy New Year and traversed the last seven miles home.

I turned the last corner onto our dead end street and going my usual grandma's pace became an official Wisconsinian: I did not even see it coming or have time to put on the brakes. All I saw and heard were four brown legs slam into the front left and then over the hood of the car. Then it was gone, leaving me breathless and the vehicle with a headlight hanging out of its eye socket on one wire.

I went pheasant hunting with a friend. I walked, he shot. I plan on taking Hunter and Safety this fall and with my brother Greg and friend Steve go deer hunting next fall. My brother and friend Paul both know how to dress, skin and butcher the deer, which I want to learn. I am hoping for a freezer full of venison in the fall. I also plan on learning how to fish the Red Cedar for Walleye - hopefully with Owain this summer.

Did I just say "Go Badgers?"


Jay

5 comments:

Stephen said...

Based on the price of an out of state deer hunting permit I may be better driving around in my wrangler near your Lostview? The end result will still be venison jerky.

Anonymous said...

Dude, the day you have a 1:1 ratio of cars/trucks:adults you became a Wisconsonian!

charissimo said...

I'll bet you were *wishing* you had our ugly turquoise 4X4 when you were trapped in the snow the other day, Barbara! ;D

Stephen, you're welcome to come and bowl for deer any day...

Anonymous said...

Umm . . . just realized that Nathan and I have a 1:1 ratio of cars so I guess my theory doesn't work . . .or I'm a Wisconsonian living 30 miles south of the border.

C, you're totally right, I DO wish I had the 4x4 to get out of the unplowed city street parking . . . want to borrow a civic?

Jay said...

I have to now admit my loud and large swearing at this damn state I gave this morning. So maybe I am not a true Wisconsonian.

Tuesday I decided to take the car through the carwash. It was filthy with sand and salt from the roads. Owain would get covered in it and it rusts your car. Not having the true midwest ontology (remember I grew up in Houston, TX.) the temperature was -10 F.

This morning I can barely open my door and then I could not close my door. The latch mechanism on the drivers door was frozen. I had to drive the carpool today and I drove steering with my left arm and my right arm across my chest holding the door closed. The gas cap included some large grunting and swearing to unseal. Thankfully some afternoon sun (high of 5) melted the latch so I could drive home "normally." Hugh rookie mistake.


Steve, please come out anyway!! And do not wait till November.

Jay