Friday, August 07, 2009

Brown paper packages tied up with string...

These are a few of my favorite things. We have entered the lush season at Lostview, when the multi-dimensional green almost feels like it's closing in on us. I find myself walking around the farm taking note of the elements of my daily life that make me smile, scratch my head, feel accomplished, or just plain glad to be alive (cue sappy violins). And for the record, I do also love brown paper packages tied up with string.

Sunflowers & beautiful garden beds in the lower garden. This season, Chris has been selling his lettuce mix, spinach, onions, shallots, carrots, beets, cilantro & squash to restaurants and co-ops.

The upper garden. For an orderly freak like myself, I get great satisfaction from a well-weeded, tidy yet beautiful mix of vegetables and flowers.

Calendula. Charis grew this for the first time this year and we LOVE it. Those vibrant hues of orange and yellow, the soft leaves, and its stellar ability to thrive, rain or shine.

The nasturtiums on the retaining wall behind the house. Because they're planted out of the way, I don't think they get nearly the adoration they deserve. These lovely, hearty flowers add so much color out back and hide that cinder block retaining wall with gorgeous tendrils. Also, "Ellis's" hydrangea, given to us from Corrie when he was born. Look at that beauty!

This photo doesn't look like much, but that's the woodchuck den back in there. And here we have the woodchuck's flower garden, as I like to think of it. This volunteer nasturtium grew right in front of his "door" - coincidence? I think not. That little rascal just has good taste.

Another one of my favorite things - this little boy. Happy 8 week birthday, Phelan!

Little and Big.

Our farm family. I believe this is the first photo of our entire brood. And I love that we finally have record of the group that makes this place what it is.

1 comment:

christina said...

love the pictures of the garden and the family!