Monday, February 21, 2005

Bank robber suspect was "super nice"

The above is a headline ripped word for word from the Minneapolis Star-Tribune, a major newspaper. Jay and I have learned that there are a few words and phrases the Midwesterners seem to love, especially adding "super" to any adjective (or just using it as a one-word answer: "Hey, it looks like there's a deal on snowblowers at Fleet Farm." "Super.") and "Ohhh, Jeez," as in "Another four inches tonight? Oh, Jeez." Or you can just use it to finish up any sentence or end a conversation (by trailing off gently as you're saying it). This is rubbing off on Jay and me, I'm sorry to say. Especially Jay. He has, in fact, requested that I punch him when he uses this terminology in my presence, but usually I'm too busy laughing and pointing to follow through.

No comments: