Monday, February 14, 2005

Die, wood paneling, die!

Well, we've done it. There is officially no more wood paneling in the house, thanks in large part to my mother, who has the energy and apparently strength of three strapping twenty-year-old lads. ("I hope I can do that when I'm sixty," marveled Jay, looking on in wonderment as my mom tore through the front porch siding like some sort of manic beaver). Despite some disagreement and miscommunication (again, sorry boys) as to what to do with the old wood planks we found under the paneling and sheetrock, I think we can all agree that what's happening now is a fair improvement over the 70's look they had going in there before. It's very rustic and farmy indeed. Why, oh why would anyone put acoustic tiles over a wainscoating ceiling? For the love of Pete!

I have to give some serious blog post love to the unbelievably badassssss menfolk, who spent the entire day Saturday ripping out (and breathing in) nasty black insulation from the walls in the bathroom and sledgehammering (!!) the bathtub to death. This formerly moldy, nasty, grouted-together room is now a clean, hollowed-out shell, patiently awaiting it's rebirth, free of its smelly, stained bathroom trappings. It really is something to see.

I was on a juice fast all weekend, which was especially horrible anytime somebody made a delicious farm meal and when Sherri and Tryston Beyrer (the nice boy who's taking care of the horses) came by with homemade banana bread and Valentine's Day cookies. BRUTAL. I'm done now, but none of those cookies are in my belly.

The horses are doing GREAT. Mistie is keeping and even putting weight on, and Colby is fine, though he needs a good butt-kicking every now and then to knock him down a peg and prove that he's not the herd stallion of two. I can't wait to have my indoor arena set up and ready to go!

I also can't wait for two weekends from now, when we get our plumbing set up and replace the kitchen counters! It looks like there are indeed hardwoods under all of the kitchen lineoleum and subfloor, so that may be a good route for the kitchen floors. We're hoping to tile the bathroom and front porch. Major transformations underway!

TTFN,

Charis

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kee-rist! You people are UN-STOPPABLE!!! Thiss effete city-living softie is in complete awe of the massive amounts of energy and vitality that are being generated up in the farmlands. I'll say it again, Kee-rist!!! (Both for effect, and because it is fun to say, maybe I'll close my office door now, folks are starting to stare...) Anyway, reading the blog brings much joy, and it is always fun to envision you lovely people turning one small corner of the world into your vision of how things ought to be. Thanks for the updates, and wow!

Ann-Marie said...

i'm curious about this juice fast of which you speak. reasoning? menu? results?

charissimo said...

I just did it for some mid-winter cleansing, after the holiday junkfest I happily partook of. Wait, can I end a sentence with a preposition? Ach, you know what I mean. I did lots of organic citrus juices (lemon, orange, grapefruit) and carrots, apples and beets for three days. It wasn't a complete success, as I was hoping to go for longer, but Chris and Becca made some AMAZING macaroni and cheese and I couldn't hold out any longer. But I do feel better - more cleared out - now. I hope to do it again when I've done some more researching and there's less temptation all around - maybe summer when we'll have tons of our own fruits and veggies to juice.

charissimo said...

Nick, I hope you'll swing by and share in our efforts sometime!

Ann-Marie said...

thankee. and as for dangling prepositions, it's not wrong to end a sentence with them, but i guess we sound smarter if we don't . . . ?

charissimo said...

Oops. I meant share in the SPOILS, Nick, but you're welcome to share in the efforts too.