Monday, February 07, 2005

The great melt-off

Chris' partay was a rager. Eleven of us all total cross-country skiied and the boys brought out their own keg of homemade beer and there was a big bonfire and pizza from scratch and plenty of beautiful white snow, and if the digital photos are telling the truth, a bare butt or two was exposed (which must have happened after I went to bed). Oh yeah, and the septic system froze. That was good times at party central. It actually just gave us a reason to pull out the old composting toilet. Yes, there are some kinks to be worked out, but I believe we have a good alternative in place, and as I'm sure you can imagine, there were some muy hilarious practical jokes played while someone sat on the potty box in the closet. I'll bet you can't wait for your visit now!

This last week it got so warm (50!) that the snow almost completely melted off to nothing, creating weird, Portland-like puddles. I almost didn't recognize them. On Wednesday, Chris and Kevin were at the farm to work, and I met them there to do my equine business. We ended up putting in the dining room chandelier (Kevin and me), the kitchen light (Chris and Kevin), the hand railing (thank you Jesus! And Chris.) and the outlet covers in the living room (also Chris). I have to say that with these few additions, the place is feeling very homey indeed.

Jay and I went out on Saturday, and finished up the chandelier, which is a simple, medieval-ish black wrought iron deal. I also got inspired and painted the ceiling in the dining room, and finished up painting in our bedroom while Jay battled the septic system outside and chainsawed down a tree up in the woods, which, by the way, is increasing the size of his biceps drastically. I got in a ride, but of course it started spitting ice pellets half-way through and cut my fun short, with Colby shaking his head furiously as we cantered home. This was the first sign of the big cool down, as it's now back to the typical teens here. The last thing we did before we left was to knock down a couple of walls in the bathroom - this makes one feel very powerful indeed. Nothing like slamming a crowbar into the wall to get your ya yas out. The goal is to have the thing gutted by the end of the month when Jerry the plumber arrives to make all of our dreams come true. Can't wait to get those kitchen counters in either!

Love and thick black farm coffee to all of you- I'll write more soon!

Charis

No comments: