Saturday, July 01, 2006

Creating

My mind and body have been consumed with three areas of creating/creation.

One, Charis. Watching my beautiful wife become more gorgous and lively everyday with Thelonious in her belly is thrilling. Words do not complete the justice of how awesome she is. Plus the baby is busy. Truly incredible to see her stomach move up and down and have parts stick out. We have been taking our birthing classes and I read Ina May's midwife/natural birthing book. Both are great because they have given me focus for this tremendous event to take place. The best part about Paula, our midwife, is her intense approach to the simple fact that having a child is natural, not an illness, and a woman's body is designed to do this. I have come to the conclusion that the entire reason for patriarchy is because men are scared to death of the power and strength in women. Therefore, if we keep them down, then we can control then under this falsehood that we are smarter, stronger and better. What a bunch of hogwash. I am totally convinced that God is female. A creator god, a god of the universe and a loving, caring god, has to be female.

Two, garden. Everything is growing like gang-busters. (what the hell does that mean?) We had a superb dinner tonight of beets, salad and pesto fettucine. Everything was ours but the pasta. Chris built a great food solar dehydrator and we are drying food, canning food, freezing food and storing in the basement in sawdust. We are begging people to take lettuce and second crops of beets and carrots are sprouting. It is such a treat to sit down between crops and pick weeds. Crazy, yes, but a total zen-like experience for me. An even bigger treat to harvest food. Creation is awesome. Tiny, little seeds become five foot tall peas, 12 foot tall hops, six inch deep carrots and the most brilliant, deep red beets. How could a God who began all this not be female?

Three, music. All of the above has been beyond me, very simply - Charis is doing all the work, the soil, water, and sun are doing all the work. Wonderfully, something creating is happening inside of me. I can not take credit for it. It has to be the female muse. I have sextet gig in Novemeber. My esteemed goal is to play 80% original tunes. Therefore, I am having to write more music. My other ambitious goal is to not have a concert where band plays head, solos, band plays head. Therefore, I am having to write lots of interludes and vampings for between solos and behind solos. I am trying to write as much now before Thelonious comes. It is happening. What a joy it is. I catch myself laughing at what is being written down on paper. I have no formal music or theory training, never formally studied composition, but I have to say some of this music writing is fair to decent. God has to be one jiving, hip female.

How are you all creating in your life? I think creating and being in the creating process is life giving and god-like. I hope I can constantly be in this state of being, and hope you are in it in some way too. Please let me know your stories and creative happenings.

Jay

3 comments:

DrT said...

Hello Jay, thanks so much for sharing what is going on in your life and in your mind.
Here in PDX things are going swell. Teaching el al. as normal going, you know.
I'll take a sabbatical leave this fall, so I'll try to write about asynchronous learning (/teaching). i.e. hybrid lecture/online courses.
Wishing you the best, Hi to Charis and to Thelonious. David

charissimo said...

Well NOW I do.

And it's giving me the giggles!

Jay said...

David,

Awesome to hear from you. Glad to know your summer is going well and you get a chance to focus your thinking and studies on sabbatical. Congrats.


Corrie,

BLACKBERRY PIE! One of my favorite foods and the my purpose for existence in August when I lived in Portland. I think I increased the ice cream companies stock each August. Please consume too much pie for me, and shakes - UMMMMM. Charis and I go pick our wild blackberries and raspberries out here in our woods. They are tasty but sad little guys. They are about the size of your little toe toenail and I dump my little container all the time swating at the the biting flies swarming over my head.

Nick,

Thank god for the library masters degree. Now you have a job and can clue me in on all kinds of great information!

Jay