Wednesday, November 01, 2006

White Noise

Lately I've been thinking we should rename our place White Noise Farm because lawdy there's a lot of humming going on around here. With an air purifier/fan in our room and Ellis' room and a humidifier upstairs and downstairs, we're kind of drowning in the buzz. I have to say, I miss the quiet and the coyote packs, but for now it allows us the sleep we so richly deserve. In fact, if you come to visit, we'll offer you some white noise for your room too. You may give us a look, but you will be thanking us come 5 the next morning when the farm boys jolt to life.

Speaking of the offspring, I have to say that even though some of the other mamas out there may dispute it, I'm pretty sure I got the best one. Pret-ty, pret-ty pret-ty sure. I mean, when they were handing out the brightest, shiniest, freakishly large, melon-headed, chubby-cheeked kids, I must have been first in line. Owain is such a sparkly character. He's a giggler and a grinner and a screecher and a flailer of limbs. He crabs half-heartedly when he's tired and nine times out of ten as soon as I put him in bed he drifts off without complaint. He loves chandeliers, fans and light fixtures - pretty much anything that's attached to the ceiling. He loves the horses and the cats, and isn't afraid of much. He enjoys being worn on mama and dad, but in front and face out ONLY, please. He's a regular hoot!

That said, !wow! mothering is a serious marathon! I had no idea until it happened to me. It's great fun, but when I sleep, it's the sleep of the dead. And days whip by, which is surprising considering all that I don't get done. Time flies when you have a little person hanging from your boob, I suppose. It's been a blast to have Ellis around and to watch the interest quickly grow between the boys. I'm predicting they're going to be enjoying plenty of mischief around these parts in no time flat.

Okay, over and out for now. It's almost 8 and my bed calls!

Love and a steaming mug of spiced cider to all!

Charis

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, it's a bitter pill to swallow when 2 jackson women are heading out to see you people and I'm not one of them. I'm not even a Jackson woman anymore, technically, I guess. I vacillate these days between desperately wanting more farm news and feeling all despondent about not being with you guys during these precious times!

J

PS Why is my sister still up and posting stuff on your website at 1:10 AM? That is WAY past her bedtime.