Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Meatloaf

I'm making meatloaf for dinner tonight. Meatloaf. I've never made it before, but have had it every so often, probably mostly during my first 12 years of life. Wow, did I feel like a Betty Crocker convert when it occurred to me to make meatloaf as I scoured my brain and cookbooks for a dinner idea, staring at the giant box of fresh beef from our friendly, local farmer.

There is something about it - meatloaf - that is both repulsive and a yummy indulgence. The name, for one, is a bit of a deterrence for me. Anything in loaf form, really, other than bread, sounds scary and mysterious. Especially a big ol' loaf of meat. But as I put together the veggies, garlic and onion, savory seasonings and a bubbling glaze on top...meatloaf didn't seem so bad...I think my mouth even started watering a little. And this, coming from a girl who went meat free for a time. Hi, my name is Rebecca and I make meatloaf. And looking at the clock, I see it's time to get that dinner out of the oven!

So, in the spirit of Lynne Rossetto Kasper, let this be my ode to meatloaf...at least for today. Dinner's on!

6 comments:

charissimo said...

It was GOOD. You people are sorry you haven't gotten a chance to partake in Rebecca Rosetto Kaspar's loaf of love and delight. And meat. Seriously. Did she mention that this is meat from our friend Mandy's Scottish Highland cow? As Owain and Ellis would say: Tasty!

Becca said...

Dude, I'm blogging upstairs and Charis is commenting moments later downstairs. We are such losers. But thanks for the compliment on the 'loaf - I'll take it!

Anonymous said...

Hey! I made Lynne's Ginger Basil meatloaf about a week ago! So yummy! I especially liked all the suggested variations in the recipe. Seems like a great starting point for improvisation. I wanna try the middle-eastern one with ground lamb, whole wheat couscous, red wine, coriander and mint.

chris said...

That does look tasty.
Will you bring a slice to the cities tomorrow?

charissimo said...

It's your lucky day, Chris - there's ONE slice left! And now it's got your name on it. I wrote it in ketchup.

Ann-Marie said...

is it weird that i grew up eating meatloaf that didn't require a loaf pan? my mom always just formed it into a little loaf on a small pan and let it bake.

my husband thinks it's weird, but it still comes out the same.