Monday, February 18, 2008

Good boy, Gideon












My trusty steed is finally at it again. Urias came through with a stunning harness - all shiny and strong and ready for Gideon's workout! Yes, my Belgian will be svelte soon (I was going to say that I'd now have the chance to work his butt off, but if you take a quick glance at the photo up to your left you can see that's a pretty tall order). I was amazed at how quickly he caught on again, and by the time we were on our fourth load of oak, he'd swing over, jog up the hill to the pile, turn around, back up and stop to hook up like he'd been doing it forever. Meanwhile I was swimming in my own special little pool of sweat while running through the snow behind him. It really is crazy how effortless he makes it look. My neighbor Bill says that a couple of horses like Gideon could pull a pickup truck up a hill. With the emergency brake on. This makes me think we're not providing him with enough of a challenge with these measly oak trunks. And that if one of our cars gets stuck in the snow at the bottom of our driveway we'll have a brilliant hillbilly-style solution...


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Charis, I love this!!! I'm a wanna be horse girl (I wanna be w/ horses, but don't wanna do the work of owning one) & I just think the horse psychology stuff is fascinating!

Anonymous said...

Char - how long does it take to 'dress' this guy? It's a beautiful and elaborate outfit.

Steph

charissimo said...

I've actually been timing myself because I want to get really fast at it. I can do it in about 15 minutes or so right now, and after only a few times doing it I can now lift it on to him without standing on a bucket because I'm getting stronger - it's really incredibly heavy. It looks complicated, but it's pretty straightforward once you see how all of the buckles fit together.