Thursday, March 05, 2009

Playing Chicken


I'm not naming any names or anything, but some of us around here may need to join CCA (Chicken Cuddlers Anonymous). Especially since this little gal is getting to be more and more like a pet every day.

I was recently asked to give a chicken update, which I haven't done because quite frankly there hasn't been too much news in the poultry department this winter. We did lose a couple of the girls last fall to a mystery illness, which was kind of sad but probably necessary in that it toughened me up in the ways of chicken ownership (I used to cry when my stuffed animals got taken to the Goodwill, people). One of the white hens got all broody and wouldn't get her ass off the eggs and I had to wear a glove to collect them because she would peck at my hands - I imagine I would too if someone came in and systematically stole my children every day. Egg production has been decent throughout the winter with the help of some Christmas twinklers hooked up to a timer, which may make the chickens feel a bit like they're working in the red light district in Amsterdam, but seems to be doing the job. We've even had enough to sell a few dozen eggs to the neighbors when they come a-knockin'.

That's all I've got for now, but I'm sure with spring will come more to tell! Amy, this one's for you....

6 comments:

christina said...

god that pictures just cracked me UP! does he ask to sleep with them?

The Process said...

Okay, seriously . . . Owain is SO cute!

charissimo said...

Not yet, Christina, but I'm sure that's coming! Maybe Jay can build him a bunk bed out in the coop.

Anonymous said...

wow, I didn't think chickens were all that nice! you don't worry about that adorable child getting his eye poked out? ;o)

~JenMidwife

charissimo said...

I actually worry more about what Owain would to the chicken in this case, Jen. This is a very sweet little hen - kind of the black lab of the bunch. :D

Anonymous said...

Waylon is just as cuddly with the goats. Sometimes that makes me jealous.

Julianne