Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Dogs dogs dogs dogs

Okay, it's going to be another one of my patented library "quickie" blogs you've all come to know (and perhaps love?)

I wanted to talk about the dog population in our neighborhood. I walk every morning, and I have to say at first I was a little intimidated by the dogs everywhere. As you can imagine, people aren't exactly in to tying their dogs up around here, which is fine by me, but can be a little disconcerting when the one at the end of the road lurks in the bushes and jumps out in front of your truck barking every time (this is Max, the Johnson's shepherd mix). As I've gotten to know the neighbors I've learned the dogs' names, which has been a remarkable thing. Max doesn't even bat an eye when I turn up (on foot anyway) anymore because I call to him while he's resting at his post by the tractor. Rex, the Buchner's beagle, has been a little tougher of a customer, but this is because he's deaf, they tell me, and can't hear his name being called. I think I'm softening him up a bit, though, because today he barked and ran right up to me in intervals, sniffed me, and then accompanied me part way home. The Beyrer's dogs Brown and Yellow (they're labs, and I'm not entirely sure they have names) are the classic run in slow-mo, snarling, barking, evil-looking-until-they-make-contact-with-you-then-they-turn-into-slobbering-puddles-of-smiling-dog-joy. Brown and Yellow frequently make their way over to our place for lots of sniffing and other doggish activities.

On a very tragic note, I HIT A PHEASANT WITH THE TRUCK. It was my first experience of this nature, and it made me very sad. He was just hanging out on the side of the road, and I was all excited to see him (he had a lovely red head with a white ring around his neck) and suddenly he RAN UNDER MY WHEELS. Just like he had a death wish or something. His buddy turned and ran in horror. Awful!

My mom and dad got me a Carhartt jacket for Christmas, so now I feel truly authentic on the farm.

Does all this crazy political stuff going down lately make anyone else feel like burning their voter registration card? I'm at the end of my cynical rope.

Okay, gotta run. Congrats to my dear Julianne, who's sporting a bright new sparkly rock on her left hand!

Love and shiny happy people to all,

Charis

1 comment:

charissimo said...

WEIRD! I guess Nathan and I could always get jobs as pheasant bounty hunters. Not exactly something to be proud of...