Thursday, January 12, 2006

Moon, Coyotes and Water

Three spectacular sensory experiences all in one day: Jan. 12, 2006.

In My Spirit As Water (?) by David James Duncan, he mentioned the importance of living a life connected to nature. One example is knowing the cycles of the moon and what the current cycle is. This has become quite simple living on the farm. The moon is awesome. It shines and lights up the farm with warmth and vibrance. I can read while sitting in the hot tub. I ride my bike at night or morning with no need for my nickel cadium 10W light. The snow reflects off the moonlight and I need to wear sunglasses. I watch the deer run around in the fields at 11:00 at night. I have noticed that the earth rotates on its axis and passes the moon rotating around the earth about 1/2 hour every earth rotation. Every day it comes up a little later and leaves a little later. The moon also drifts back and forth on a North/South pattern. I never knew those things before. Now the moon feels like a warm, kind friend who visits when I need a little pick me up. This morning the moon began my bike ride to school. It lit my path and painted a spectacular show as she drifted behind the empty trees and hills leaving white and black stripes draping the horizon.

As the moon waltzed away behind the hills, the coyotes sang it a love song. Directly across the river a pack of coyotes sang their beautiful, eerie song. The leaders give a long high pitched howl and the rest string a load of rapid fire yips along side. It was delight to my ears and also frightening. The melody and harmony accompanied me for at least a mile along the Red Cedar River.

I try to arrive two minutes before my carpool. One reason is to lock my bike and disrobe part of my armor against the cold. The real reason I try to arrive early is take off my face mask, break open the lid to my water bottle from the ice and drink water that tastes like it was poured by the gods: chunks of ice, refreshing, crisp, complete rejuvenation.

This is all before the sun rises on a Thursday.

Jay

No comments: