Thursday, August 17, 2006

Owain's birth song

low moaning birth song,
pain, no breaks, coming every minute or less,
her body a tight-pulled bow and ready ready to fire through meters of dense steel,
I pour water over her belly, back, over water,
humming low tones with her, breathing out long and relaxed, feeding her water,
lying on the bed, her body pressed against mine, every inch unforgiving, "I need a
break" "I do not have the energy," knowing she can do it, but desiring for a way to give relief:
neck rub, deep breath, encouragement, neck rub,
stairs: hang on Jay and slow dance, take the stairs up two at a time, hang on Jay and slow
dance, I hug so tight and sway with her, my ear pulsing with her song,
instantly on a stool Charis seated on me, I'm whispering to Becca and Jeannine "what is
happening?"
no need for answer as I feel her body push with the force and power of a tug boat up rapids,
finally some seconds of break between pushes
power and force unstoppable, one hand on stomach feeling the change and shape shift, one
hand massaging as best as possible,
back to the tub, Charis resting into my lap and chest,
pushing more,
a moon rises between two mountains, cheers and encouragement from all corners of the room,
a head and Paula's hand ballet under water and a child on her chest,
quiet, too quiet,
all wrinkly and clammy,
suctioning of lungs, still a rattle, a little blue,
I touch every inch of the baby's body, talking, begging for bold signs of life,
turn the baby upside down, to drain the fluid, "It's a boy,"
oxygen to the lungs,
little cries, the greatest sound in the world.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I got chills reading your poem, Jay. Thanks, all, for sharing so many intimate thoughts and feelings. What an incredible gift you, we all, have been given in this perfect little one. He's gorgeous..and so are you, Charis. I love you all! KAthie

Anonymous said...

Thanks for allowing us a glimpse into such an intimate scene. You are beautiful, and so is your story. Praise God!