Saturday, September 17, 2005

Life after you see a tiny person enter the world

I just have to say that after you watch with your very eyes a baby find its way out from the dark warmth inside his mama to the bright lights and loud family that is now his life on the outside, all the mundane shit you have to do the next day seems impossibly lame. Perhaps my extreme distraction in this regard is the reason I decided to build the first fire of the season in the woodstove (39 degrees at night lately here)on Thursday and left both a pillar candle and a giant vase of flowers ON THE STOVE TOP before going out to feed the horses. Upon coming back into the house I was wondering why it smelled so good - like spiced pear - yeah, giant pile o' hot wax running down the side of the stove. Boiling water in the vase of sad, surprised flowers.

This baby is - oh, how can I even say it? All the true, right, good things in the world are living in this child. We hold him close and stroke his soft baby hair and we can get a glimpse of what life is supposed to be.

I can't wait until he's a permanent resident at the farm!

We're helping pack and loving on Ellis this weekend in the cities. By next weekend we won't have to drive the 90 miles to kiss his little soft spot!

Love and tiny fists grasping pinkie fingers to all of you!!!!

Charis

2 comments:

charissimo said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
charissimo said...

Hey guys - sorry about the deleted post here. Computer problems.

edn, are you my cousin Eric? If so, welcome to the blog! To answer your question, no we haven't found a church. Honestly, the one in our neighborhood is too conservative for me to feel comfortable in. I'm feeling inspired to start a small church at our house in some way - like the days back when Jesus walked among us.

Julianne, always a pleasure to see your comments. I get sad and happy too - all we have to do is obliterate a few states and Wisconsin and Oregon can be neighbors. I can't wait until we can tell Ellis all about when auntie Julianne jumped on his mama in the inner tube that fine June day...

Charis